- Serves: 4
- Course: Lunch, Dinner
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup cracker crumbs
- 5 tbsp seasoning salt
- 6 walleye fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp lemon pepper
- 2 lb side bacon, sliced
- 2 cups Dijon mustard
- Combine flour, cracker crumbs and seasoning salt; set aside.
- Sprinkle fillets with lemon pepper, then wrap each cube with a bacon slice, secure with a toothpick and cover with mustard.
- Completely cover the cubes with the flour mixture. Deep-fry in canola oil until golden brown. A 1 1/2-inch cube should take about 1 to 2 minutes to cook if the oil is at the right temperature.
- Serve with deep-fried potatoes, beans and bread
- Frying tip:
Before frying your fish, make sure the oil is sufficiently hot. To test if it’s ready, drop in a piece of fish: if it sinks and doesn’t quickly bubble back up to the surface, the oil isn’t hot enough. Also make sure that the oil remains hot until the fish is fully cooked; lower temperatures mean a longer cooking time, and the longer the fish sits in the oil, the soggier it will get.