A worm farm is used as a means of naturally creating fertilization for planting and gardening. Worms are good at breaking down waste matter quickly into rich organic compost.
- Waste (Trash such as kitchen waste, vegetable scraps etc.)
- Container (such as a bin or otherwise)
- Top soil
- Most persons prefer to buy the worms however other persons source them elsewhere. Wherever you find it most fit to source your worms is up to you. A pound of worms usually equates to 1,000 worms.
- Prepare all your garbage and waste matters and dig a hole with your shovel to put the container in allowing the opening to stay at the top. Make sure the container has some holes as drainage.
- When everything is lined up and ready place all the dirt and waste into your worm farm container and use water to saturate the contents then put in all the worms. Close the lid tightly to keep other things out of it.
- Wait a couple weeks for the waste to decompose then check the bin for the changes in the compost.
- Now you can use the compost from the worm farm as you like for planting and gardening.
Tips and Warning
- Red worms are most commonly used for worm farms because they consume a lot and optimize the waste matter so they are normally seen as a good investment. Another good option of worms are tiger worms.
- An old fridge or freezer (that can be closed) can be used as your container for your worm farm; however the main components such as the coils and compressor should be removed before using it. These parts contain chemicals that can escape and poison the earth.
- The contents of a worm farm can also be used as fish bait when fishing.
- Do not allow the dirt in the worm farm to get too dry, this will cause the worms to move downwards and slow down the decomposition process.
- Worm farms help persons to save money, instead of purchasing fertilizers which can be expensive and non-organic that may be harmful to the environment they can make and use cheap organic waste.
- Because you will be handling all types of dirt and waste matter, it is advised that once you are building a worm farm you always have on the right clothing such as gloves and right shoes this protects you from bacteria and infection.
Follow our HUNTING BLOG